Keeping up, post university

How I keep up, post-university

After going through my graduation ceremony, and starting the journey of job hunting, it is my responsibility to make sure that I constantly improve my skills to adapt to a rapidly changing industry, and ultimately to not fall behind. And after a couple of months exploring my options, the 3 methods found the most effective are to learn a new programming language, whilst doing so, visit and improve my previous work, and to take on LinkedIn Certifications.

Learning a new programming language

During my time in university, studying ISDS (Information System and Data Science) I mainly used Python, and whilst there were others using different languages, as this was my first exposure to programming as a skill, Python, the language we were told and learned about in class, was the only option I can realistically use. Therefore, it was obvious that the first step I need to take, in order to keep up, is to learn other programming languages.

The immediate choice I landed on was C++, as many it came recommended to me by many others that have the same goal, for its ease of use, and practicality. While ease of use came in from a subjective point of view, practicality come in from the opposite, the reason for this is because it allows me to create websites. In this day and age, the ability to write code, is arguably valued equally as the ability to create good looking websites, and that value goes even higher when you have both skills. Also, coincidentally, it links very well with my next point.

Visit and improve my previous work

Not so long ago, I managed to create a very ram shack basic website with assets, images, and features that I essentially got and borrowed from other sources, and now, I think its the perfect time to revisit and use it as a stepping stool to further improve my skills. Personally, looking back at previous work, and seeing what I can do with it using skills I learned in the present, allows me to better understand my weaknesses and strengths, and for me, the most important reason for me to do so, is because its genuinely fun and enjoyable to create something that I like.

LinkedIn Certifications

After looking at LinkedIn for a little while, I realized that there are plenty of free resources and certifications that I can do online. These certifications can be used to showcase my proficiency in specific skills that I am interested in, it can range from things as simple as data visualization in Microsoft excel, to something a little bit more advanced such as advanced relational database and SQL. 

Whatever the topic related to the certification may be, the point of the certifications would be to collect things to put on my cover letter and resume.

Conclusions 

To summarize, there are plenty of things that I am doing that will help me grow my current skills, and to keep up with the forever changing industry. And while these 3 are only a few of the many methods to do so, personally, its the most applicable, realistic and helpful, to me, and more importantly, to my cover letter and resume.

Comments